Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Got an Opinion? I'm looking for yours!

Allen (my husband, joint business owner and fellow bead nut) has been working away at redesigning the shopping cart at eebeads.com for a while now. This is just phase one in the redesign of all things eebeads.com which I promise is coming to a monitor near you at some point in the future. Anyway, we're pretty happy with it and it is SO much easier to check out now. There's just one thing that neither one of us (me with the art degree and him with the computer science degree - what a troublesome combination) can agree on and it's the "remove an item from my cart X" you can see above in bright red.

I don't like the red X because it looks like something you'd see on a paper from school where the teacher said you made a mistake and were bad. (By the way, did I mention I was a teacher for a while and refused to use red for corrections...surprise, surprise, I used purple :) I made a teal X but that just didn't work either.

So now it's up to you...what color should we be using or is the red fine and we're overreacting (and over thinking)? Or is there another type of icon we could use other than an X? If you want to try the actual cart and see it live, just visit eebeads.com, add something to your cart and you can see it in action!

To let me know your thoughts, leave me a comment below (it can be anonymous) or send an email to me at blog@eebeads.com or bug my husband at TheDigitalBead@eebeads.com (By the way, I know he'd love an email from you telling him what you think of his new cart...you can try all the steps and if you don't want to place an order, just don't complete the order by hitting the "Place Order" button. I get tons of fun email from you and he gets only the problem emails...make his day and tell him an honest opinion of his hard work :)

Later.... Thank you for all the comments and emails!!! We tried different things with the X and in the end went with a light purple trash can. We think it looks MUCH better and appreciated all the suggestions you sent us.

7 comments:

  1. You can use a grey x. A bit more subtle then red. Or a grey trashcan icon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I played around with the cart for a bit and it looks great. Accepted all my changes as expected. Looks fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well as a teacher who also used purple for a while (it didn't matter to the kids) I don't think it matters. The red X doesn't bother me makes it easy to see. A trash can might be too cute. Any color would be ok as long as there is contrast. Just my 2 cents.
    Great site!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well instead of an X you could use a lined through circle like on a no smoking sign. or perhaps more of a burgandyish darker red.
    on a side note, I read the article on how your company is green and I really liked it. I actually love the tiny 1X1 inch bags and use them all the time to seperate out beads in a storage cubicle when I've only got 2-3 of a certain bead and don't want to mix up a bunch of small random amounts in one cubicle. I also really like the pattened bags and reuse them for greetin cards and reuse the shipping enevlopes for when I need to send a package. THough Ithink I do that more for saving money on envelopes and cards than for green purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand why you don't like the red X because it can be severe but it also grabs peoples attention. If you use something to less then attention grabbing people might not see it. Maybe theres an icon you can use like a zero with a slash in it. hhahaha more school memories. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want to read the pearberryspritz was referring to here it is: http://www.eebeads.com/gogreen.html
    And I think any reason for reusing stuff is green by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Almost any color other than red would be good. I'm a teacher, and the red X says "wrong!" to me. Like the teacher who blogged earlier, I started using purple on my student papers, and I still do that. Something that says, "oh, never mind," or "I changed my mind," would be better. Orange, perhaps -- something between "caution" and "stop."

    ReplyDelete