Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What does Silver Filled mean?

 As I keep adding new silver filled items, I get a lot of emails asking what silver filled is.  Silver filled is just like gold filled but in silver.  There is a thick layer of .925 or better sterling silver mechanically bonded to brass, above we're showing a bead.  Silver filled is 1/10 or 10% by weight sterling silver.  Silver filled is hundreds of times thicker than regular silver plate and looks just like solid sterling silver.  Silver filled also tarnishes less than sterling and if it does tarnish, cleans up easier than sterling silver.

I hope this helps explain what our new silver filled items are!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much - I've been hearing about silver-filled as a more affordable alternative to the ever more expensive sterling and argentium - but never quite knew what it meant - til now!
    Now I have to check your site to see what goodies you have using this!!

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. With sterling prices rising like the moon, it will be nice to have an alternative choice- I have gold filled items that are quite durable, I expect the silver filled will be the same. I quess you will be adding more as time goes on? Love your site and customer service by the way.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete